AWAKE & DREAMING

Saturday, October 15, 2005

Working To The Bone

I was the Marathon Working man for this week; my work hours for this week went like this - Monday 6:00 am to 7:20 pm; Tuesday 6:00 am to 9:00 pm; Wednesday 6:00 am to 9:00 pm! Thursday & Friday were supposed to be my offs, but I was at the office from 2:00 am to 9:00 pm on Thursday & yesterday I was there for a meeting from 12:00 pm to 7:00 pm. On my days off from work!! I just wanted to finish as much of my work as possible before the meeting (which was a review of our department from July to September) so I could say that this month I was ahead of schedule. A couple of my co-workers scolded me for staying at the office so late.

So here I am, working my ass off, feeling so tired that all I can do after I reach home is sleep. I was getting dark circles under my eyes and my back felt as if it was used as a horse racing track. Still I had the feeling that it was worth it - until Thursday morning.

I got a call from my manager at around 11:00 am; seemingly innocent enought enquery as to how the week was so far. Then the bomb exploded - the promotion (well more like absorbtion into the company's main payroll & a good hike in my salary cause work & pressure wise I was already promoted a while ago) seemed very likely to go down the drain due to a reason that I had not at all hidden from the management & administration! I only have a diploma in computer science and not a graduation in any degree, and it seems that my company won't promote me because of that. Of all the rotten fucking things to hear after you have just spent 44 hours in 3 days working for the same company. I did not know what to say, since anyone would expect that if you give them all your details & they give you work & promote you (without pay) and give you responsibilities, then they must have overlooked the thing that is missing. Yet, no they were happy to have me work for them all these months when there was a need for my abilities - and one year & 10 FUCKING MONTHS LATER they are going to tell me "Oh so sorry, we did not know about this. But we can't give you your reward." How fucked up is that? I kept waiting & waiting to get my deserved slice of the pie and now they hand me an empty plate?

Getting pissed off at them is becoming second nature to me. I have started looking around for other employment as I have no desire to slave for these guys if they won't promote me. I just wish they would have stated this when I joined. If they had, I would have no hard feelings & only respect.

Babe of the week - SOPHIA BUSH





Song for the day - "Down In A Hole" - ALICE IN CHAINS

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home